10/03/2005

Domino

Movies, movies, movies. I’ve seen a few. I go to screenings all the time, because I like going to see movies for free, and to get the lowdown on stuff that won’t be out for awhile. It makes me feel important. I’m not. But it makes me feel that way.

Having rambled in my first paragraph, I’ll get down to my review of the new Tony Scott film Domino. It's "based on a true story.... sort of."

Here’s what you need to know… this is the first film since Donnie Darko that Richard Kelly has written that will see the screen. It’s directed by Tony Scott (Beverly Hills Cop II) who likes to use flash cuts and grainy film stock, as well as stark, blanched colors and jump cuts. Yes, I said flash and jump. Anyway, be aware of the style and the writing.

Domino stars Keira Knightley (Thunderpants) as Domino Harvey, daughter of Laurence Harvey, from the original Manchurian Candidate, who decided early on in life that she didn’t want to be a model or a sorority girl and would rather spend her time being a bounty hunter.

She joins Mickey Rourke (1941), Edgar Ramirez (El Nudo) and Delroy Lindo (Beauty And The Beast), bounty hunters so well-known that Christopher Walken (Pennies From Heaven) wants to do a television show about them. They team up with Beverly Hills 90210’s Brian Austin Green and Ian Ziering, playing themselves, to catch bad guys and be famous.

It works, for the most part, and through-out they run into all sorts of unsavories, as well as some mafia-types who want some money that was stolen, and a mob boss that talks in an underwater hover pod so the feds can’t listen to his conversations.

There are special appearances by plenty of folk, which I won't spoil, because we all love cameos, but I will say that the most annoying host of "It's Showtime At The Apollo" since Rick Aviles (Joe's Apartment), Mo'Nique (You Lie Like A Dog), is in the film, and she has a spirited turn where she coins a new phrase for racists all around the world. The entire scene was completely random, but mildly amusing. You'll know what I mean when you see it. Let's just say... it's a talk show. Hosted by a guy. He was the mayor of Cincinnati. I think you get it.

Several bits of the film takes place while Domino is being questioned by Lucy Liu (Coach), an F.B.I. agent who likes to sharpen pencils into glasses of water for some reason. They have clever dialogue back and forth, and then some more things happen and there is "sort of" a resolution. See that? "Sort of". I like to bring things back around.

Here's the thing... this is a fun movie... good action, good actors, decent story, etc. Since it's based on a real person, and she worked closely with the filmmakers (albeit less since she overdosed in her bathtub a few months ago), I have to believe that her life was a lot like this. Sort of.

First off, the REAL Domino Harvey was a lesbian, which, unfortunately for Keira Knightly fans, she isn't in the film. Luckily, however, in the cut I saw, as with several other Keira Knightley films, you still get the obligatory boob shot, which should make up for her not kissing other women to her fans.

Mickey Rourke, as usual, is great in the movie. Mickey's had about 37 comebacks over the years, and I'm glad he's still making movies. He's a hardass's hardass. I'll watch Mickey read a book. That's how interesting I think he is. And in this film he has TATTOOS! And GUNS!

The rest of the cast is OK. Walken is funny doing his "Walken" thing. It's another paycheck film for him where he shoots one day, gets paid and goes back to banging whores, or whatever it is somebody like Walken does when he isn't making every single film produced in a year.

The soundtrack is something that I really liked about the movie, but since it was a screening, I'm betting it doesn't stay that way. I noticed several songs lifted from other films, namely: Fight Club. The soundtrack was great, and worked well with the film, but I doubt it will stay intact.

I like Tony Scott's direction every once in a while. I couldn't watch his movies every day, but once a year or so isn't bad, as long as I've had enough time to recoup my retinas and stop my seizures.

Richard Kelly is a talent, and I'm glad he's getting back on the writing/directing horse with Southland Tales. I'm excited to see that. There is no way to compare Darko to this, especially from a writing standpoint, so I just won't. They are two completely different films, and both, in my humble opinion, are good.

To conclude, Domino has some good action, and characters you are lucky enough to care about. There is an overt wit to the film, a satire almost, of reality television, and it carries the film on its blatant shoulders from time to time. There are moments when you almost wish Tony Scott didn't have to explain every single thing that was happening, because it can feel like he's dumbing it down for you, but they are few and far between.

I think this film could be solid hit. Not much of worth is opening against it this weekend. So, if you haven't seen Serenity yet, check out Domino. It opens Friday, Oct. 7th, 2005.

I give the film 7 out of 10 CELLULOID SHEEEEEEEEP.

-Constable Kreegal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home